Thursday, September 12, 2013

The Beauty of the Season

Hello friends and stampers - hope you are all doing well.  I have a special post today in celebration of this week's Queen for the Day challenge at SCS.  Trish invited me to be this week's Guest Designer, and I'm so honored that she did.  I'm honored to be asked and overjoyed when I found out that this week's queen is Cindy Gilfillan, aka Frenziedstamper on SCS!!  Her gallery is just amazing.

There were so many beautiful designs and wonderful techniques to choose from, but my search stopped immediately at one particular card - which you can see here:  Vintage Pink Flower. Below is my version of Cindy's card - changes were with type of flower, embossing folder and added pine & pinecone die cut.

Poinsettia & Pine Cone Christmas

Cindy had an excellent tip for creating a more realistic flower shape - to use washi tape rolls as a mold for the flower petals while they dried - I tried it and it works!!!  To make this card I started with the flower.  I die-cut several layers and a few leaves, then layered 3 different shades of color using ink and daubers.  Then I curved each petal using 2 styluses, played with the layers to get them 'just right', then went to work gluing each in place one over the other.

I didn't mist the petals so my technique wasn't exactly like Cindy's, but while the glue was still wet I placed the flower in something as close to a washi tape roll as I could find - a very small glass. Not quite the same, but it achieved the same result - a more 3-D realistic shaped flower. Below is the first close-up.

Poinsettia and Sentiment Close-up

While the poinsettia was drying I went to work on the flower center.  I started with the little die-cut piece that came with the poinsettia, and after it was sponged I put glue on all the little end berries and dipped them in mini gold beads.  To finish it off I punched a couple of pine sprigs using my MS Pine punch, scrunched everything a bit and glued it into the center of the flower.

Here's one more close up so you can see all the textures and layers:

Poinsettia Close-up

The pine and pinecone die is a new purchase that was fresh out of the package on my craft table - and somehow it seemed to be calling out to me.  I couldn't resist - so I die cut the Pinecone Corner Die, sponged a bit of color and gave them some texture and shape with the styluses, and added it to me card.  I cannot wait to use this die again!! The last step was to add the Vellum embossed layer and the sentiment panel.  After the card was finished I decided to curve the edges on the sentiment panel just a bit, to soften that layer.

Thank you Trish for the special honor, and thank you Cindy for sharing your talent and providing so much inspiration!!

Card Recipe

  • Bazzil White Card Stock (One Layer Card Base), Vellum embossed panel
  • Sweet 'n Sassy Christmas Joy Sentiment
  • Coral, Rose Red and Cherry Cobbler Ink (Poinsettia), Pear Pizzaz and Artechoke (leaves and Pine needles), Baked Brown Suger, Soft Suede and Espresso (Pinecones) and Soft Suede for the Sentiment
  • Poppy Stamps Poinsettia Die, Memory Box Pinecone Corner, SU! Embossing Folder

Blessings everyone!
Audrey


3 comments:

Marisa said...

Your poinsettia is STUNNING!! Gorgeous card!

Karon said...

WOW - what a fabulous creations! Love that amazing flower! Gorgeous! TFS

Pop, Paper, Scissors said...

This is really beautiful.