Monday, September 2, 2013

Peacock for a Friend

Hi Everyone - for those of you celebrating the long weekend I hope you're enjoying every moment of it!!  I am :)!!  So happy to have played in a couple of challenges today too - that's quite a treat for me lately.

This card is for a very special friend who loves Peacocks (well, peacock art anyway) so a few months back I found this great Digi image from A Day for Daisies.  I then set out to color it using Copics.  I spent much time perfecting the colors and finally today took it to the next level by adding more vibrant colors with Prismacolor pencils and Gamsol.  

Let Your Light Shine Alt View 1
After the coloring was complete I sponged the edges and matted to the SB rectangle.  Then I worked on the base/background panel.  That was fun - I created the background by first sponging Soft Sky onto white card stock, then using the ODBD Fancy Foliage Custom Die as a MASK, I sponged Coastal Cabana and Pistachio Pudding over it.  This created a cool mottled look.  

Peacock Plume Close-up
The photo above shows a closeup of the feathers and the background.  The background panel was also embossed and lightly glittered for added texture.  At this point I was ready to add a sentiment. Although I really wanted a big feminine ribbon and bow, no matter how I tried it just didn't work - the Peacock image was just too large.  I had to go with plan B...  

Sentiment & Peacock Close-up
Which was to carefully trim and mat the sentiment, add a glittery border and mount it over the same die-cut flourish I'd used for masking/sponging earlier!  (Well, not the exact same one - a newly die-cut one :), also sponged and lightly glittered.

Peacock Full View

The finished size of this card is 6.5" x 4.5"...  Yep, just a bit oversized.  Still, I wanted a top fold - so to make that work I scored the back panel 1/2" from the top and adhered it to the front using Score tape.  I love how well this works.

Hope you like this one - a lot of work went into it, but for me coloring is one of the most peaceful activities there is, so I enjoyed every minute of it LOL!!

Card Recipe:
  • A Day for Daisies - All for Show Digi Image, ODBD Spread Light Stamp
  • White and Pacific Point Cardstocks
  • Black Ink for stamping, Copics, Prismacolor Pencils and Gamsol for coloring the Image, Soft Sky, Pistachio Pudding, Coastal Cabana and Pacific Point for Sponging
  • Copic Markers Used: BG000, BG001, BG009 / B06 / YG03, YG05 / YR07, YR09
  • ODBD Custom Die - Fancy Foliage, SB Romantic Rectangles, SB M-Bossabilities Design B, Stickles, Clear Art Glitter
Card Challenges:
Thank you for stopping by - your sweet comments bring me smiles every time and I Thank You for that :)!!!!!!!

Blessings and Hugs,
Audrey

11 comments:

Bridget said...

Oh m goodness, this is absolutely gorgeous, a real stunner, Audrey, your friend will be thrilled!

cass said...

Stunning, amazing colour work, thanks for joining us at Crafters Cafe this week

Benzi said...

Colored beautifully, Audrey. I love to color, too, and haven't done much of it lately. Maybe soon. Your friend will treasure this card forever. Hope you're having a good holiday.

Pop, Paper, Scissors said...

Oh my! This is just outstanding. I love ADFD images, but I don't recalls seeing this. You just did a magnificent job coloring this and the way you framed it is just perfect.

Karen Letchworth said...

WOW, this is gorgeous Audrey Ann. I love those amazing colors, too! Thank you very much for stopping by to share in our challenge this week and please join us again soon. Your cards are always a welcome addition!
Blessings & Hugs to you,
Karen
Word Art Wednesday

Karon said...

Oh WOW! This is a stunning card - fabulous vibrant colours and wow what an amazing image. Beautiful. TFS and have a wonderful week.

Marisa said...

Gorgeous peacock and a lovely card. Sure your friend will treasure receiving it!

Cindy Groh said...

Beautiful. Love the flourish that sparkles and the embossed background. The whole card is awesome.

Jo Ann said...

Wonderful coloring and embossing. Very pretty,indeed! Thanks for blessing us with your artwork last week and hope you join us this week for another Inspirational Challenge at Word Art Wednesday. Hugs and blessings!

JO ANN
http://jatterburycreations.blogspot.com

Samantha Casey said...

Oh this is just so pretty! Love the coloring and color choices! Amazing job! Thank you for joining us for the Oozak Challenge!

-Samantha

Brenda Brown said...

I love the textured background and the framed image, a beautiful card. Thanks for sharing it at Country View Crafts September Challenge.
hugs {brenda} x0x