Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Waves on the Sea Father's Day

Hi everyone - hope all is well!!  Hope you're enjoying your week.  Thank you for stopping by - today I have a new ODBD Shining Light Challenge card to share - this week it's all about the masculine.  My card is a Father's Day card, for a very special Uncle.

To make this card I started with the background - using Crumb Cake ink I stamped the ODBD's God Bless America stamp.  This particular stamp is oriented horizontally and has a border, so I had to stamp it twice - once right-side up (you can see some of the stars of the Flag in the top left corner), and then once upside down, careful not to get any of the stars.  This may sound complicated but it really was simple - and the flag lines came together perfectly!!

Happy Father's Day in America!!

Next I embossed that layer, had a little mishap and embossed it backwards, took a look and then decided I liked it that way!!  (The diamond pattern should be embossed outward, but on this card it's inward).

Then for the main image panel I used the same Crumb Cake ink, only after the image was stamped I went back over it using a sepia colored Copic Fine Line and three Sketch markers, to accentuate and add some depth to certain areas.  Then I used a white gel pen to smooth some of the lines and bring in some highlights.

Happy Father's Day to Uncle Bob

This image is so beautiful and so peaceful that it deserves all the attention - so I kept this card very clean and simple.  The last step here was to pop the layers and add a simple sentiment banner.  There is something about the sea that centers and calms me, and this image seems to do that for me - I hope you can feel it too :).


Here are the full stamp set images that were used on this card:





If you have time I hope you can stop over and check out all the beautiful cards my DT Sisters have created for you:
Our Guest Designer is:  Cheryl Scriven 

For more details about our Shining Light Challenges or if you'd like to play along with us, please visit us Here.  We'd love to see your wonderful creations!!!  And if you join in the fun you'll have a chance to win a $15.00 Gift Certificate toward Our Daily Bread Designs stamps.  Just submit your entry by 8pm EST on Sunday June 16th - and if you use Our Daily Bread Designs stamps your card may be featured in the Top Three Designs!!


Card Recipe and Details:
  • ODBD The Waves on the Sea and the God Bless America sets
  • White and Crumb Cake Card Stock
  • Crumb Cake and Copic Fine Line Marker
  • Copic Sketch Markers E43, E71 and E84, White Gel Pen, Foam Dimensionals


Challenges for this Card:

Thank you for visiting - I hope you were inspired in some way, and I hope you have a beautiful day :)!!

Blessings,
Audrey

13 comments:

Sandy (Cheesy) said...

Audrey, I am in love with this card. At first look, I thought the BG was ribbon! So inventive how you used that stamp. I also love the tone on tone and the reverse embossing. Fabulous job.

Cheryl (aka CherylQuilts) said...

Audrey, I LOVE this card too! It's amazing! I love the color and the layout, but using the flag background and then embossing it is the finishing touch! Definitely pinning this one! I love your style!

Diana Nguyen said...

LOVE love love how you went over the image with a fine line - it went from just a stamped image to an artist's sketch. Brilliant idea - another one I will be casing from you. (I should just a notebook titled Tricks for a beautiful card from Audrey!)

Marisa said...

Fabulous image and LOVE the embossed BG - backwards or otherwise ;) Great card!

Chris Olsen, Glowbug said...

Love it Audrey!!The flag bg and boat image are awesome together especially with the ivory!!
Hugs,
Chris

pam124 said...

Audrey, what a terrific FD card. I love the sepia look and image. I won't have time to make any FD cards this year it looks like, but I sure am enjoying yours.

Kathy said...

I love, love, love this card, Audrey!!! So gorgeous with the sepia tones! Blessings! Kathy

Chrissy said...

Fabulous masculine card Audrey, love the technique for the background panel and such a great stamp.
Thanks for sharing with us at ‘Make it Monday’
Luv CHRISSYxx

Remember, to be in the running to win the prize from our sponsor this week just leave a comment for another entry. Be sure to mention you saw them on Make It Monday. The more entries you comment on the more chances you have of winning!

Karon said...

Stunning card - love the stamps you have used they are wonderful and adore the sepia tones! Perfect! TFS

Karen Letchworth said...

Not that's a gorgeous Father's Day card, WOW! Thanks SO MUCH for stopping by to share with us in our challenge this week, Audrey. Hope you're having a blessed week.
Karen
Word Art Wednesday

Grace said...

Audrey this is sooooo beautiful!!! I just love the sepia tones and how you elongated the scene! I love this!!!
hugs,
Grace

Donna Ellis said...

Hi, Audrey! What a great idea to use the stripes from the flag in your background - they resemble the waves in your image! Beautiful sepia card - a lovely, classy, elegant masculine card suitable for framing for sure! I love what you have done in creating this masterpiece! It is beautiful, Miss Audrey! hugs, de

Jan Marie said...

This is so handsome, Audrey. Love the monochromatic sepia scene and the textures. Very classy!