Tuesday, May 14, 2013

The Candle or the Mirror

Hello Friends!!  I have a sweet little project for today - I know I always have fun with these challenges, but sometimes they are SUPER fun LOL!!!  And this one is just that.  I love this quote by Edith Wharton - There are two ways of spreading light:  To be the candle, or the mirror that reflects it, and I love the beautiful font of this stamp, and how it looks in the different colors.

It's for ODBD's Shining Light Challenge #154 - in celebration of Stone or Wood.  Normally a challenge with the words Stone or Wood would mean a tree or something woodsy or rustic for me, but as soon as I saw this challenge I thought of the fabulous real wood veneer "card" stock that I've had in my stash for at least a year.  It's made of real wood and made for stamping - so why not!??!!

This card is also for the Color Throwdown Challenge - CTD#242!!

here are two ways of Spreading Light

Here's a swatch of this week's Color Throwdown.  Another great arrangement of colors - that are so so pretty together!!



To make this card I started with four die-cut panels - one in the wood veneer, the others in White and Ivory Naturals card stock.  I also used four stamp pads and coordinating markers - for the quote and frame.  After die-cutting the panels I inked the quote stamp using the Markers, then created the polka-dots using ink pads and finger daubers.  How easy is that!??!

To be the Candle or the Mirror that reflects it

It's been a long time since I've used markers to ink a stamp, and at first my colors overlapped and looked a little messy.  So coloring/stamping the sentiment took me a few tries.  There's still a bit of color overlap but I'm okay with it :)!!

Quote Close-up

One of the things I love to do is engage perfect strangers in conversation.  It's amazing what a smile can do for example, whether a person seems happy and breezy, serious or stressed, a smile can lift a spirit and brighten a person's day. A knowing look, an understanding nod, taking time to truly listen or say thank you, these are little things that can make such a difference!!  But for me, laughter is the BEST - I especially love when I can strike up a quick hardy laugh with someone - out of the blue.  That is the best!!  It's hard to explain but I think this quote does it well - one can be the Candle, or one can be the Mirror, and both bring light and joy :)!!~

Below is the Spread Light stampset and Spellbinders Die used for this project:




For more inspiration and to see what the other 'breadsticks' have created, you can check out their beautiful projects below:

Guest Designer:  Gloria Stengel


If you're interested in more details about the Shining Light Challenges or would like to play along this week, please visit us here.  We'd love to see your wonderful creations!!!  And if you join in the fun you'll have a chance to win a $15.00 Gift Certificate toward Our Daily Bread Designs stamps.  Just submit your entry by 8pm EST on Sunday May 19th - and if you use Our Daily Bread Designs stamps your card may be featured in the Top Three Designs!!


For details on the Color Throwdown challenges and/or to join us this week, please feel free to stop by:  CTD #242

Card Recipe and Details:
  • ODBD Spread Light
  • Wood Veneer Card Stock, White, Vanilla Naturals
  • Real Red, Kiwi Kiss, Daffodil Delight and Tempting Turquoise Ink and Markers
  • Spellbinders Labels 26 Dies, Daubers and Foam Tape for dimension
Card Challenges:

Thank you to everyone for stopping by - and for brightening my day with your visit :)!!  I hope you found some inspiration here, and I hope you find time to laugh hardy today :)!!!!!!!!!!

Hugs, and Blessgings!
Audrey


19 comments:

Donna Ellis said...

A fun card, Audrey. The "floating frame" looks as though the words are on the mirror - perfect for your sentiment. Lovely with your bright, cheerful, happy colors, too! I just acquired that SB labels set - thank you for showing the possibilities, as I would never have though of that - love it! hugs, de

Marisa said...

Great card shape, LOVE the big polka dots and the multi-coloured sentiment is a wonderful touch.

Gloria Stengel said...

Very creative. I love how the stamped sentiment turned out!

Stacy aka Twinshappy on SCS said...

So cheerful and fun! I like the shaped frame and vibrant colors.

Karon said...

Such a beautiful card Audrey - and what a fabulous sentiment - love it. And the wood veneer is amazing! TFS

Chris Olsen, Glowbug said...

What a creative use of wood, Audrey!! I just love the frame and your cheery colors!! Gorgeous use of wood!! The multicolored sentiment pops!!
hugs,
Chris

Karen Letchworth said...

This is SO COOL, Audrey. Thank you so very much for sharing with us in this week's challenge. I'm always SO blessed when you are able to join us. Have a blessed week.
Karen
Word Art Wednesday

Kathy said...

Super creative, Audrey! I love how you did the colors on the quote! It looks awesome! Blessings! Kathy

Pop, Paper, Scissors said...

I think you are just as sweet as your card. I agree with everything you said about conversation and laughter.
About your card... Holy creative! I love the veneer and stamping straight from the ink pad, just made this so cheerful. Awesome!

Joan Ervin said...

What a fabulous idea to use the wood veneer, Audrey...I just love the polka dots and the different colored sentiment looks awesome!!!!!

Diana Nguyen said...

Cool wood veneer! What a fun card - love your take on the challenge as always!

pam124 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
pam124 said...

Sorry, I messed up on my reply above. Your card is full of fun and great colors. I, too, love the sentiment and the multi-colors you used. Way 2 go Audrey!

Sandy said...

This looks lovely. Love your created background and the uplifting sentiment. Thanks for linking up with Make It Monday this week.
Hugs,
Sandy

Jan Marie said...

Great card!! Love the shape and the bright colors and your message too!! This card shines brightly! May the Lord continue to grant you the grace to shine brightly for Him. . .that others may continue to see your good works and glorify your Father who is in heaven! Hugs and blessings!

Carol (Gingerbeary8) said...

How fun this is Audrey. I love the colors and how bright and cheerful this is. It brings a smile to my face.
Bear Hugs,
Carol

Benzi said...

Very pretty and happy card, Audrey. You did a great job with the sentiment and making your big polka dots.

Lynn Put said...

This is wonderful Audrey! Love how you used the wood veneer and cardstock to create the frame for your sentiment. And the stamped polka dots are cheerful and fun.

Wanda Cullen said...

This framed sentiment is spectacular! Love the varied colors with the words and the fun and funky polka dots...it just screams happiness! You are so right about attitudes being contagious...especially laughter! There's another expression that speaks about smiles and laughter and it's "You're never fully dressed until you're wearing a smile". :-)