Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Happy Spring - ODBD SLC #147

Hi Stamping Friends - Hope all is well with you.

I have a new ODBD Shining Light Challenge card today - in celebration of Spring.  We've been seeing signs of it here in Virginia - the  birds are chirping and singing and staying very active at the feeders, and some of my flowering bushes are in bloom - so pretty!  Hope you're enjoying this change in Season wherever you are!

For this card I used a new release set from ODBD called Happy Spring.  This was a fairly simple card to make, and includes two of my favorite types of detail work - meticulous and delicate cutting, and Copic coloring (although that's hard to see really).  I love transforming a beautiful image by separating it from the card stock and giving it life and dimension.


Happy Spring 2013

To make this card I started by stamping the Pussy Willow image on white card stock, then coloring it using Copic Markers (see below for colors), and then delicately cutting it out.  At that point I added some White Flower Soft.  What a wonderful effect this is - especially in real life - it looks cool AND it feels cool too!

To dress things up just a bit I added a raffia bow and pearl embellishment.  Here's a close-up that shows a bit more of all these details:


Happy Spring - Close-up View

It's funny how creativity works sometimes - it was only after the image was complete that I decided to switch gears and go with these background papers and colors.  I always create a sketch before I start any project, and my final design usually resembles the sketch in many ways, but not on this one LOL!!



Happy Spring - Alternate View

It took me all of two seconds to find this paper - and as soon as I saw it I knew it would be just right.  The next step was to die-cut and mat each of the layers.  Because I wanted dimension, and paper doesn't hold up very well when layered and popped, each layer has a coordinating die-cut card stock layer behind it as extra support.  This way the card will be sturdy enough to hold the layers and the popped up images.  The last step was to finish the inside panel and adhere the two ovals by using my scor-pal and scor-tape.

Here is the ODBD Stamp set used for this card:




To see more, or to join us in this week's ODBDSLC #147, please stop over for a visit here.  If you decide to play along you'll have a chance to win a $15.00 Gift Certificate, which can be used toward stamps at the Our Daily Bread Designs store!!  Just submit your entry by Sunday, March 24th at 8:00 p.m. EST.  Plus if you use Our Daily Bread Designs Stamps your card may be featured in the Top Three.  

See below for links to the wonderful projects my DT Sisters have created for you:



Card Recipe and other details:
  • White and Pool Party Card stock and Designer Papers, Soft Suede (sentiment) and Pool Party Ink (sponging)
  • ODBD Happy Spring Stamp set
  • Spellbinders Grand and Opulent Ovals
  • Flower Soft, Raffia from my stash, Recollections Pearl, Scor-pal/Scor-tape

Card Challenges:


Hope you have a wonderful day, and I hope you found some inspiration here today - I enjoyed having you :)!!


Hugs and Blessings!
Audrey



20 comments:

Emily Keaton said...

I have always loved pussy willows, Audrey! Your card is stunning – that is some fancy fussy cutting ;-). I love the colors and layers – and cool shape, too!

Rhonda Miller said...

This is lovely. I saw it on MIM.

Pia S said...

I think your card really stands out from the crowd, with the gorgeous blue papers and fabulous shape - perfect for an Easter card! The image is lovely and I like the texture and color of the tied bow! I spotted your card on MIM.

Marisa said...

Love the oval shape and the pussy willows are fabulous! Our neighbours have a tree and I love "patting" it LOL! Fabulous multi-looped bow and a great card :)

Cards By Jan said...

STUNNING Audrey...wow...awesome cutting around all those lil branches...Super card!!

Chris Olsen, Glowbug said...

WOW Audrey!! I love the colors,dp, and the layers!!I agree with Jan...awesome cutting around those tiny branches!!
Hugs,
Chris

Donna Ellis said...

Audrey Ann! You are my hero LOL - seriously, because I am unable to fussy cut like that, I naturally admire anyone else who can. But your delicate fussy cutting is seriously gorgeous - always SUPER DELICATE and just the right touch. I especially like your Easter Egg shape in the card. SO PRETTY, and perfect with your elegant oval die cuts and pretty designer paper. Thanks for sharing another marvelously inspirational card. hugs, de

Kathy said...

This is gorgeous, Audrey! I love how you did the pussy willows, they look awesome! Blessings! Kathy

Karon said...

Holy Cow Audrey Ann, LOL!!!;-) I love this card - the pussy willow is stunning, I thought it was like a made little flower stem, not from colouring!! Love the colours and the papers. Thanks for the great comment on my blog - made me smile so much :-) I'm sure Copics would work, any alcohol marker really. Have a great rest of the week. Hugs, Karon

Pop, Paper, Scissors said...

Very, very pretty. I have such a hard time using those pretty papers. Looks like you've had great success with your blog. Good things happen to nice people. (Tanlented also).
Gail

Stacy aka Twinshappy on SCS said...

Fantastic! Oh I like that its an oval shape, your sprigs look wonderful. Beautiful Easter card.

Benzi said...

Audrey, the word is beautiful. Your oval card reminds me of an Easter egg. Nice cutting of the Pussy Willows and such a pretty raffia bow. It looks awesome on the blue.

Cathymac said...

Every element on this striking card is just gorgeous, Audrey! A lot of time and love went into the making of this beautiful creation...from the fussy cut pussy willows to the elegant layers! Fabulous my friend! Hugs!

Chrissy said...

WOW!! This is just gorgeous Audrey, wonderful effect, love the pussy willows and papers, fabulous card.

Thanks for sharing with us at Make it Monday..

Luv CHRISSYxx

Lisa S. said...

Gorgeous Easter card! Love the pretty image from ODBD and the pretty papers you used. Thanks for joining us at Make It Monday.

Diana Nguyen said...

So pretty! I love the oval shaped card - like an egg! And your fussy cutting is wonderful and you already know how much I admire your coloring! The raffia bow is brilliant!

pam124 said...

OMG, Audrey, you have outdone yourself again on this beauty. I still have to use that pool party. I've hardly used any of the in colors for the past 2 years. I love all your BEAUTIFUL layers and pairing the pool part with soft suede. Your pussywillow with the flowersoft is spectacular. Love the dp on the inside of the framing. Girl, you are one heck of a talented cardmaker! P.S. After looking at your blog for the close ups, I'm even more AMAZED - that flowersoft was a brilliant idea. Hugs!

mayholicraft said...

Wow, what a beautiful creation! Your card is so delicate and elegant! Love it. I saw you on MIM.

Ang said...

Very pretty card, love the colours, thanks for joining us over at the CBN Challenge this month
Hugs
Ang
Crafty Bloggers Network DT
My Blog: A Crafty Blether

TLady said...

WONDERFUL! LOVE the designer paper used with this! It gives SUCH AN OLD FASHIONED FEEL! :)