Tuesday, February 5, 2013

The Mighty Sea - ODBDSLC #141

Good Morning and Happy Tuesday Everyone,

Today I have a very special card to share - for this week's ODBD SLC #141 Secret Admirer Challenge:  Case a card of any designer you admire.   It's certainly not easy to choose only one card, because I admire so many designers, not only in the ODBD group, but also on SCS and in Blogland.  So how does one choose???  Like most challenges I let my heart guide me, and although my thoughts went to MANY designers and options, my heart kept bringing right back to one card by Dawn Lusk (you can see her card later in the post :)!!  I really wanted to give it a try, so here goes.

To make this card I first stamped, sponged and colored the background - The Might Sea image.  I used sticky-note masking over the water to sponge the sunset and sky, and Copics and white gel pen to color the sea.

Let's Roll!!

Then I stamped, colored and very carefully cut out the Special Boy Truck, again using Copics.  This coloring and detail work is very enjoyable, and both of these images were fun to color!!  Dawn's card is amazing to me for many reasons, but what first struck me is that I'd have never thought to use these two images together on one card.  But it really works!!

Truck Close-up

The close-up above shows off this great Truck!!!

My design plan wasn't to create Dawn's same box card (I'm really not sure how :), but I still wanted to create some depth.  So my next step was to die-cut the background/ocean layer and two frames, all using the same Spellbinders dies.  I also sponged around the die-cut border of the white (Mighty Sea) layer with Sahara Sand, so once together it would blend with the other Sahara Sand layers.

Here's another shot showing the layering:

Let's Roll - Alternate View
After the coloring, cutting and framing were complete I worked on the final embellishments.  I love the Let's Roll sentiment here because in my scene it looks like the tide is in and it's time to get going!!  I used a bone folder to bend and curve the sentiment banner a bit, and also die-cut some twigs and grassy pieces to bring the scene beyond the picture and outside the frames.  Those were sponged to give some depth as well.

So, I'm sure you all want to see the amazing inspiration card - here it is.  Dawn, thank you for all your inspiration over the years, you are a blessing my friend!!

[SpecialBoyRickBD-wm%255B11%255D.jpg]
Dawn's Amazing Card for Rick's Birthday Hop!

Here are the pictures of the sets I used:




To see more or to join in on the fun, check us out here.   If you join in you'll have a chance to win a $15 gift certificate to be used toward stamps at the Our Daily Bread Designs store!!  Just submit your entry by Sunday, February 10th at 8 p.m. EST.   If you use an Our Daily Bread Designs Stamps your card may be featured in the top three.   See below for links to what my DT Sisters have created for you.


 and our February Guest Designer - Becky Egecrone


Card Recipe and other details:
  • Express-it White, Sahara Sand
  • Memento Black for the images and sentiment, and Saffron, Mustard and Cajun Craze for Sun, Soft Sky for sky, Crumb Cake for die cut branches and grass elements (sponging)
  • ODBD Special Boy and The Mighty Sea Stamps
  • Spellbinders Large and Grand Rectangles, Grand Scallop Rectangle, Memory Box Twig and Grass Die Cuts
  • Copic Markers:  B02, B04, B05 (Ocean) / YG00, YG61, YG63 & 67 (Truck) / C1, C3 & C5 (Tires and shading)
  • Linen Thread

This card is being submitted in the following challenges:
Thank you again, to Dawn for her inspiration, and thank you to everyone who's visited me here today.  I hope you were inspired!!  What a fun time I'm having in Blogland - my second month'aversary LOL :)!!  

Hope you all have a wonderful Tuesday!!

Hugs and Blessings,
Audrey




24 comments:

Chris Olsen, Glowbug said...

What a gorgeous masculine card. Did I use gorgeous and masculine in the same sentence? You so rocked this challenge. I so love your case of Dawn with your truck driving off to the side, your gorgeous coloring and your framing. Gorgeous!
hugs,
Chris

Emily Keaton said...

Your card is totally cool, Audrey! Beautiful coloring and I love how that truck pops right out of your frame :-)

Donna Ellis said...

hahaha, what GREAT masculine cards, Audrey! Looks like something my husband would have done even 10 years ago. (thank goodness we don't have that 4WD monster any more!) Spectacular coloring. I was so surprised to see the truck in the first gorgeously-layered, beautifully colored, scallop card. Looks AMAZING! And the 2nd with a new color introduced. You have created wonderful masterpieces here, Audrey. What "boy" wouldn't LOVE receiving these. As a matter of fact, WHO wouldn't love receiving them? Wow!

Marisa said...

This is fabulous, Audrey!! You coloured it wonderfully and well done with the cut out grass!! Great shape and a great case!!

Dawn said...

Audrey....I'm awestruck!!! YOUR card is fabulous!!!! that framing is awesome *note to self....do this!!
Your sponging and coloring is outstanding....it just POPS! and I love the die cut grass and twigs!
Wow, I'm honored you chose my card to CASE...again, it's AWEsome!

Karon said...

WOW - jaw dropping! This is fabulous - I love the images and the framing by layers!! TFS and have a great week.

Barbara Bruder said...

This card is fabulous. And I love how that image is driving right off the paper. Love all the blues you used on the 2nd card as well. Perfect for the Sparkle n Sprinkle Creative Challenge this month, thanks for joining us. Good Luck!!
Barbara - SNS challenge blog coordinator

Cathymac said...

What depth and exquisite coloring, Audrey! Your CASE is amazing and totally gorgeous! This design team just keeps pressing us on to excellence!

Debi said...

Audrey, These are stunners! love them both! Debi x

Kathy said...

This is so cool, Audrey! I love that gorgeous sky, you did an awesome job on the beach scene! I love how you did the truck, brilliant! Blessings! Kathy

Cards By Jan said...

Oh Wow I love your card Audrey...especially in matellic green, awesome...awesome case, love them both!!
Hugs

Jacqueline Smith said...

What fabulous cards, love the colors that you used on both cards! Thanks for playing with us at Sparkle N Sprinkle monthly challenge!

brenda said...

Stunning card Audrey very imaginative use of the stamps.

Thanks so much for sharing with us at Pretty Little Ribbons challenge this month.

B x

Grace said...

Oh goodness Audrey.... what an awesome CASE! Love the depth you achieved with this card! Your coloring is amazing and the truck just pops out of the scene! Beautifully done!!!

Benzi said...

Thinking outside the box is what Dawn did by putting the truck with the ocean scene. And, you cased her card in an awesome way. I do LOVE this combination of images...so realistic AND gorgeous.
Love it!!!

Sabrina said...

I remember Dawn's fabulous card and you've certainly created a wonderful tribute to her here. I've just got to find time to get my Mighty Sea inky, I always love seeing cards made with it. The lovely light colours in yours remind me of Greek seas far more than our darker (and colder) Irish ones.

Conniecrafter said...

very cool, like your take on the card, cool color for the truck and love the grass you've added to give it dimension!

Kelley said...

Audrey, GASP!!!! Your card is so AMAZING!! Love your case of Dawn's!!!

Sandee Shanabrough said...

Audrey I absolutely love this card!!!

Donemark v said...

Wow fab male card.
Thank you for joining us at Crafty Bloggers network.
Kaz.
CBN DT
xxx

Colleen Dietrich said...

Really great take on Dawn's card! They are similar yet not alike, and I love the dimension of yours.

Stacy aka Twinshappy on SCS said...

ACK!!!1 are you kidding me... These are super fun, the twins would love them. How stinkin cool are these guy cards. Not surprising they are outstanding girl!!!

April said...

What a great card! I love the frame and your wonderful coloring! Thanks for joining the SNS challenge.

julieprice3 said...

Just beautiful, Awesome colouring and design, thanks so much for joining us at the Pretty Little Ribbon Shop
Hugs Julie P