Saturday, February 16, 2013

Happy Birthday CAS Style

Hello Stamping Friends - Happy Saturday!!  Hope you're enjoying the weekend.  I have a couple of cards to share with you today - I needed two birthday cards and didn't have much time, so decided to practice making CAS cards while playing in a couple SCS challenges.

Inspiration for both cards was found on SCS Inspiration Challenge website, as well as in the Galleries of two FABULOUS Queens who were recently crowned in the Queen for the Day Challenges.  This first card was inspired by Mary (aka Octoberbabe on SCS) along with a bit of influence by Susan (aka Susanbri on SCS).  See below for a link to Mary's amazing card!

I used ODBD's Sweet William stamp set and SU's Itty Bitty Banter on this card.  Both have coordinating dies, also used for this project.  First I stamped and die-cut the flower layers, die-cut the leaves and added dimension using a stylus.  Then I stamped and die-cut the sentiment and used a bone-folder for dimension on the banner.

Happy Birthday CAS!!

The center of the flower was made using an MS Pine Branch punch.  Once the flower, leaves and sentiment were finished I added the score lines - two vertical and two horizontal leading to the flower.  At that point I added the flower/sentiment layer.  Below is a picture that shows some of the details up close.

Flower and Sentiment Close-up

Here's one more picture that shows the dimension in the sentiment banner, as well as the card's inside panel.

Alternate View

My second card is also for a couple of SCS Challenges - and is another One Layer Card!  Still practicing my CAS skills because I hear that practice makes perfect.  We'll see!!!  The inspiration came directly from a card made by Susan (aka Susanbri on SCS).  Below are the details and a link to her beautiful creation.

Verve - Treat Yourself Birthday

To make this card I started by die-cutting the flower twice - once in black, and once in white.  Then I added the stem and leave by HAND DRAWING them!!  I also added the hand-drawn border around the card as well.  I'm not sure what prompted me to do this, but I've doodled flowers with stems and leaves for years, so why not??!!!  And it just seemed perfect for this wonderful flower die.

Verve - Treat Yourself Alternate View

The next step was to sponge the white die-cut flower in yellow and add some of the same yellow to the border using the Direct to Paper technique.  I wanted an Artsy sort of Mixed Media feel to this project, so also added glitter to the flowers and card border.  Also added a medley of pearls for the flower center and card corners.


Card Recipe - Happy Birthday Card:
  • White, Wisteria Wonder, Lucky Limeade
  • Elegant Eggplant Ink, Wisteria Wonder Marker (Sentiment Banner)
  • ODBD Sweet William and SU Itty Bitty Banter
  • ODBD/Spellbinders Blossom 3 die, SU Itty Bitty Banners Die, MS Pine Punch
  • Scorpal, Styluses, Dark Pink Stickles and Clear Art Glitter, and Pearls

Card Recipe - Treat Yourself Card:
  • White, Black and Daffodil Delight for the card inside
  • Copic Pen, Basic Black Ink, Ranger Distress Mustard Seed
  • Memory Box Tilth Floral Die
  • Clear Art Glitter


Card Challenges:

Thank you for stopping by - hope you enjoyed your visit.  Thank you everyone for your heartfelt comments as well - I'm grateful to you all :)!!

Blessings,
Audrey


23 comments:

Kelley said...

Audrey, both your cards are so pretty. Sure, they are CAS but very stunning!!

Creative M said...

WOW!Both cards are BEAUTIFUL!!TFS

Marisa said...

Fabulous work on both! You know I love flowers so I'm swooning over here LOL!

Shirley-anne said...

Love both floral applications to your beautiful cards .Thanks for sharing on Kraftyhands Challenge Blog
Shirley-Anne

Karon said...

Both of these are perfect CAS cards. Love both the flowers and love your doodling! Have a wonderful Sunday.

Winnie and Patty said...

Audrey--what beautiful CAS creations! I especially like the first one with the lovely purple flower! Great job with both! TFS hugs--Patty

Stacy aka Twinshappy on SCS said...

Fantastic Audrey! Oh my goodness... you first flower card is awesome, love the scored lines on the clean white space. Just gorgeous. The daisy is super cool and awesome CAS creations.

Pop, Paper, Scissors said...

The purple flower looks like fabric. I love the added detail to the inside of the card.
I am a little envious of your creativity on the second card. Way to go.
Both cards a truly beautiful.

Donna Ellis said...

Audrey, these are delightful (I find it difficult to created CAS, too). I especially am in love with the happy yellow "treat yourself" card - that frame looks fabulous, and so do the flower petals. Such happy, sweet cards!

pam124 said...

Wow, Audrey, this is sooo pretty. Looks like a hand painted piece of art. I LOVE your flower and actual drawing on a card - oh gosh, I could never try that! Love your colors and wonderful sparkles. Great job!

pam124 said...

I didn't realize 2 cards on one upload. This is on the purple flower card. Oh, I can't wait to get my supplies to use like you used on this card. Your sparkled flowers are yummy and I LOVE the scoring and little banner - can't wait to get that too. Terrific job and your CAS skills are certainly evolving. I need to work on mine!

Emily Keaton said...

Both cards are gorgeous, Audrey! I am so taken with that fabulous dimensional flower on the first card. WOW!!

Benzi said...

CAS is good! You did a great job on these. The handcut stem and leaf are very nice..showing more talent. I love doodling but it scares me so I have never even tried that..maybe someday. :-)

Benzi said...

Duh.. I meant hand drawn stem and leaf. Ha

nwilliams6 said...

Audzi, these are stunning! Absolutely beautiful CAS cards. I love the sweet and very cool flower you made on the first and the second is just the cutest thing. Love that you doodled it and I love the mixed media feel too. Super fun and super cheery cards. Well done. Hugz to you!

Wendy H said...

Hi Audrey, These are both stunning creations. I especially like the 1st one which you have entered into the Kraftyhands Challenge. I love the Sweet William stamp. Thank you for playing along with us there and good luck. Wendy xx
http://wendyhsblog.blogspot.co.uk

Charlene Merrick (LilLuvsStampin) said...

Both cards are beautiful, Audrey!! I love that stunning purple flower on your birthday card. Your framed doodling on the second card looks fabulous with your pretty flower.

Joan Ervin said...

What beautiful CAS designs, Audrey!!!! The purple flower against the white background is sooo striking and I love how you made the second card your own with hand drawn leaves and doodling...simply stunning!!!!

wannabcre8tive said...

Gorgeous CAS cards. I love the purple flower and the scoring.
On the second one, I love the doodling.

Chris Olsen, Glowbug said...

Gorgeous cards Audrey!! I love all the texture and dimension of the Sweet William!! The bright colors and the doodling is so fun on the second! You sure rocked CAS girlfriend!!
hugs,
Chris

Cards By Jan said...

Wow Audrey...both a Gorgeous....I never cared for this sweet William flower...but your card has changed my mind....I love this...you did a super job making it stand out so prettily!!
Awesome, and Thanks!!
hugs

Pia S said...

Your first card is so elegant! Love the effect of the scored lines and what a beautiful flower! Fab CAS card!

Jenscrapstoo said...

Wonderful cards, love the clean looks they both have!! Thanks for joining us at Hiding in my Craft Room
Cheers Jennie DTM
Jenscrapstoo