Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Birthday Blessings in Black & White!!

Happy Tuesday Stamping Friends - today I have a new ODBD Challenge card to share, and this time it's something COMPLETELY different - at least for me :)!!

The ODBD SLC #144 is to make a card using Black and White.  Oh how I wanted to add a color to this - but with a little discipline and a bit of creativity I did not - and I really love the look!!  This card uses the new ODBD Chalkboard Birthday and Thanks set.

I started by stamping and trimming the Birthday Blessings panel and mounting that onto a Decorative Labels 8 Spellbinders panel.  I trimmed the SB panel just a bit on the sides - I wanted the accent to be at the top and bottom only. Then cut 4 different sized banners in various black/gray and white papers (all from the same MME paper stack).  I used a Bone Folder and gave them a bit of curl on the ends for a little flare.

Chalkboard Birthday Blessings

The next step was to cut, shape and mold the flower and  the corner bow flourish.  I did this using several styluses and a bone folder.  I really wanted to add a pop of color here, but I also wanted to celebrate the challenge to the fullest by keeping it black and white - plus I wanted to see how it looked!!

Birthday Blessings Sideview 1

This view shows the ribbon curl a bit more.  What I love about this stamp is it looks so much like a chalkboard, and that's exactly what I wanted here.  Here's one more photo showing the flower and flourish treatment.  This one also shows the curve in the banners as well.

Birthday Blessings Sideiew 2

Here's a picture of this Chalkboard Stamp Set:



To see more, or to join us in this Black and White Challengs, check us out here.   If you decide to play along you'll have a chance to win a $15 gift certificate to be used toward stamps at the Our Daily Bread Designs store!!  Just submit your entry by Sunday, March 3rd at 8 p.m. EST.   If you use an Our Daily Bread Designs Stamps your card may be featured in the top three.   See below for links to what my DT Sisters have created for you.


Card Recipe and other details:
  • Black and White Cardstock, MME Breeze Papers
  • Memento Black Ink
  • ODBD Chalkboard Birthday and Thanks Stamp set
  • Memory Box Norland Flower and Corner Bow, Spellbinders Decorative Labels 8
  • Styluses, Bone Folder and tons of Dimensionals also went into making this card

Card Challenges:


Thank you everyone for visiting today!!  Hope you enjoy your week.

Blessings and Hugs!
Audrey


23 comments:

Benzi said...

That's a wonderful new set you're using, Audrey. Great job molding the pretty flower and flourish. Love the different patterns of paper with the banners. It's a striking black and white card!!!

Emily Keaton said...

How stunning in black and white! This card has lots of visual interest. So pretty!

Marisa said...

Love B & W cards. Great job with the chalkbaord technique and loving all the patterns you mixed so nicely.

Michelle said...

Wow this is a fabulous card. Lovely that black and white.
Thanks for joining us at CYP.
xxx Michelle

Chris Olsen, Glowbug said...

Wow Audrey!!I love the black and white with the strip going across and that pretty white flower!! Stunning!!
Hugs,
Chris

Sparkly Engineer said...

This card is fabulous, I love all the different black and white elements you have going on.

Karon said...

What a wonderful elegant card - love the chalk board effect!! TFS

Donna Ellis said...

Wonderful B&W challenge card, Audrey! Looks beautiful. I am especially enjoying the pretty background, printed papers. Looks great with the panel flowing off the page like that. Love the white die cuts against the black card base - so pretty!

snappy scrappy said...

Gorgeous!...thanks for playing along with us at Paper Playtime!! Lee-Ann :)

Jan Marie said...

What a beauty!! Love your layers and that flower and flourish just MAKE the card! Love, love, love!! Blessings and hugs!

Cathymac said...

Every detail of this black and white creation is just gorgeous, Audrey! Love the flower and flourish accent, and your layered banners are so stylish! Your attention to detail is amazing! Hope you are having a wonderful week...hugs!

Sabrina said...

Hmm, I'm thinking that just black and white with no colour is going to be hard, but there's been some great inspiration and you've added so much of a fun feel with your banners and beautiful framing that this certainly doesn't need any added colour!

Diana Nguyen said...

Love how you curled the ribbon and that you kept it all black and white (I was tempted too to just add a touch of color!) Black and White just screamed for the chalkboard technique, huh? You rocked it!

Angela said...

And, oh what a festive and beautiful card this is, Audrey! I'm glad you kept it black and white. It showed great discipline.

pam124 said...

Audrey, I LOVE your chalkboard card. I LOVE making black and white cards; but, unfortunately, I haven't had time to make many cards lately. You have used the image beautifully and I LOVE your tag strips, flourish and flower. AMAZING as always!!! I love all your views of the card too. Hey, I tried to connect to your blog from the SCS site, but it wouldn't, so you might want to check it out. It's either that or for some reason it just wouldn't connect right then. Want everyone to see your work!

Stacy aka Twinshappy on SCS said...

Gorgeous! Now this might not be *you* but it sure is going to be you. hee hee Love it.

Kaylee Snyder said...

Love the chalkboard stamp. It's super cute. Your card is so elegant. Great touch with curling the banners slightly. I'll have to remember that tip. :) Thanks for joining us this week at CYP. Hope to see you again.

mum of two said...

What a wonderful creation Audrey! I love the black and white color combo. It's amazing. Thanks so much for playing with us this week at Paper Playtime sentiment challenge this week. Hope to see you again soon :)

michelle
Purple Monkey Moments

Kathy said...

Gorgeous, Audrey! I love the chalkboard image and those beautiful dies! Fun way to show the banners, I love the side view! Blessings! Kathy

Winnie and Patty said...

Wow Audrey--is this card beautiful!!!!!!! I love it in black & white! Great card! TFS hugs--Patty

Winnie and Patty said...

BTW--where is Hampton Roads in relation to DC?

Colleen Dietrich said...

Wow! What drama, what impact this card has. I didn't know that chalkboard stamps were being made! I thought it was just a technique. :) Love the stamps!

Carol (Gingerbeary8) said...

So elegant and sophisticated. Black and white is always a winning combination. Just add your sweet style and embellies and you just take it over-the-top gorgeous.
Bear Hugs,
Carol