Tuesday, January 29, 2013

With all my Soul - ODBD SLC #140: Love

Hi Everyone - Hope it's warm where you are :)!  Happy Tuesday!

Here's a card in celebration of LOVE - love of life, love of God, love of animals, love of each other, and my love of turning something plain into something to treasure.  It's also for ODBD's SLC #140:  This week's challenge is all about Love - to make a card in honor of Valentine's Day.

To make the challenge even more fun, we will be giving out a prize - a $15 gift certificate to be used toward stamps at the Our Daily Bread Designs store!!  Entries for the prize must be submitted by Sunday, February 3rd at 8 p.m. EST.  One random winner will be chosen and announced next Saturday. 

You do not have to use ODBD Stamps to join in, but we'd love to see them if you have them.  And as a way of recognizing those who use Our Daily Bread Designs stamps, we will feature the top  three participants  for the  Shining the Light Award!!  In order to qualify for this award you must use Our Daily Bread stamps and have your submission added to Mr. Linky by Sunday,  February 3rd at 8 p.m. EST.   More details can be found here:  ODBDSLC #140


You will Find Refuge - Alt View 1

For this card I started with one of my favorite ODBD Stamps and Die sets - You Will Find Refuge and the coordinating Chickadee Die.  These sweet little birds are so fun to watch in real life - and they seem so happy and so full of Love as they flit about chirping and singing all around the feeders in my yard - so I thought it was fitting to use one on my card.

My first step was to die-cut the background panels.  After they were cut I stamped them with ODBD's Wood Background.  The panels were aligned so that the wood grains all match - so each panel has the wood grain in the same place as the panel behind it.  Then I stamped and colored the Chickadee using Copic markers, and die-cut the image.

Here's a close-up of the Chickadee, branches and sentiment:

Chickadee Close-up
I added Glossy Accents to the berries, the birdie's eye, and a bit of Matte Glazon to his little beak, for added dimension.  Then I placed a couple of die cut twigs behind the image, in line with the branches.  After the Chickadee was ready I stamped and die cut the sentiment panel, found the perfect heart punch, ran it through the Big Shot with a Musical Notes Embossing Folder, and assembled all the elements except the flower bed.  Then I set out to add a few flowers.

You Will Find Refuge - Front View
Yes, just a few.  I started with 5 or 6 actually.  That's when creativity took over - at this point I just felt like Spring had sprung right before my eyes, on the card, right then and there!  As I started to add the flowers and was working on placement, I'd make a couple more, then I'd punch several at a time and add them, sort-of playing with the layout each time before gluing and adding more.  I love how the flowers embrace and surround the wonderful sentiment, and how they give a home to the Chickadee, as a form of refuge.

The flowers were punched, softened and curved using various styluses, and dotted with black Liquid Pearls and Glossy Accents in the center.  I wanted to use a darker center, to keep them a bit more in the background, hoping that they could be part of the scene, but not detract or distract from the sweet image and sentiment.  Hopefully it worked.

You Will Find Refuge - Alternate View 2
I must say that I was certainly celebrating Love  in making this card - I am in my glory with this type of detail work - I could have made these little flowers all day long!  Even so, my favorite element here is the image and message - see images below:






If you'd like more inspiration please check out what my DT Sisters have created for you by clicking on the links below!!  All the details if you're interested and/or if you'd like to join us, can be found here ODBDSLC #140!!   Hope you can visit us and play along - we would love to see your wonderful Love/Valentine's Day inspired creations!!

Chris Olsen  /  Diana Nguyen   /  Cathy McCauley  /  Kathy Roney  /  Jan Marie Ennenga
and our January Guest Designer - Sabrina Friel

Card Recipe and other details:
  • Pink Pirhouette, Primrose Petals, Early Espresso and Crumb Cake card stock
  • Memento Black, Early Espresso and Crum Cake Ink
  • ODBD You Will Find Refuge and Wood Background Stamps
  • ODBD Chickadee Die, Spellbinders Resplendant Rectangles (first layer & sentiment panel), Floral Ovals, Cheery Lynn Designs Fanciful Flourish Mini, Memory Box Twig Branch, MS Punches
  • Copic Markers:  E40, E41, E42 & E43 (Chickadee) / YG93, YG95, YG97 (Branches)
  • Musical Notes Embossing Folder, Liquid Pearls, Glossy Accents, Matte Glazon, various heights and sizes of Dimensionals, and thoughts of Love and Spring :)!!

This card is being submitted in the following challenges:

Thank you for your visit.  I hope you found some inspiration here.  Thank you for your sweet comments and for all the inspiration that you offer back to me on your blogs and wonderful galleries!!  I'm sending you all an early St. Valentine's Day Hug and lots of Love :)!!

Hugs and Blessings,
Audrey

25 comments:

Diana Nguyen said...

I loved how you just added a "few" flowers! :) And the chickadee is perfectly colored and so sweet - great idea to add some extra twigs in the back. Beautiful, detailed, dimensional card!

pam124 said...

Audrey, this is AMAZING! This must be the one you were working on when we got together. I LOVE the final product. The chickadee is so cute and I love the sentiment and the GORGEOUS array of flowers. I can't imagine how long that took. Love all the layers and details. What a great way to bring attention to ODBD products.

Donna Ellis said...

Oh My! Audrey! (good morning) Your card is a spring feast! Gorgeous! My first thought upon visiting your blog is - am I on my blog? (same background color), and then I realized the card was absolutely amazing, and of course, it is Audrey's. The second thought was, Audrey is my hero for making that many tiny flowers! They look incredible! I love it when I stop, sigh, walk away, and come back to let the creativity take over. Your card is beautiful! Lovely Day wishes to you, de

Amber S said...

This is a fantastic card! I love the sentument! Those flowers are just - wow. I love all the dimension and texture you've put on this card. Thanks for joining us at The paper Girls Challenge!!

Emily Keaton said...

Audrey, this is so impressive! You have packed in so many eye-catching details on this beautiful card. :-)

Marisa said...

A gorgeous mix of textures and just loving all those flowers you added!! A stunning scene you have created here :)

Susan M said...

Absolutely gorgeous! I have this stamp set and often use it but not as beautifully as this! Love all the flowers !

Sabrina said...

That's one of my favourite ODBD stamps of all time - and one of these dies I'll splash out on the die too. We don't have chickadees here, but we have little coal tits who are quite similar in colouring, and it seems very similar in character! I love your musical heart and the woodgrain behind the stamp - and of course that gorgeous cascade of flowers!

Cards By Jan said...

Wow, wow, wow, Audrey,,,STUNNING...and wow on all the super work, LOVE all those pretty flowers, and my favorite bird too...beautiful JOB!!
Hugs

Colleen Dietrich said...

Holy smokes! That carpet of lovingly crafted blossoms are amazing on their own, but paired with the rest...it is so beautiful!

Chris Olsen, Glowbug said...

Wow Audrey!! This is stunning!! I just love all the flowers, all the pink and your exquisite layout with the chickadee. So much eye candy...it is hard to point it all out. Gorgeous!!!
hugs,
Chris

Lee-Anne said...

Wow! Audrey such a gorgeous scene...the chickadee is adorable and your flowers...amazing!

Karon said...

Oh My Goodness - Audrey - this is stunningly beautiful. I love all the details, the layers. That little chickadee and then those flowers WOW - looks as if the fairy's came along and whispered their way along the branches and placed their flowers. Its a gorgeous creation. TFS. Karon

Kathy said...

Audrey, this is just gorgeous! I love this little chickadee too! You've created a beautiful little home for it, yes, just a few flowers, but placed beautifully! Awesome job! Blessings! Kathy

Erica Bass said...

Your card is beautiful! I just love the chickadee and all of the pretty little flowers you made. Thanks for joining in at the Paper Girls Challenge blog!

Benzi said...

Audrey, I love that large grouping of flowers and the beautiful verse. It reminds me of singing in my choir. The heart with the musical notes is just perfect.

Yes, it has been warm here in AL...73 degrees yesterday. Of course, that brought on storms and a tornado warning in the middle of the wee hours this a.m. Had to run for shelter. Thankfully, this time, all turned out o.k.

Heather said...

What a stunning card! Love all the flowers! Thanks for joining us at the Paper Girls!

~Tammy~ said...

Oh wow this is stunning! The cluster of flowers is amazing and the beautiful verse I just love! Thank you for sharing your talents!

Claire Newcombe said...

This is stunning. Beautiful flowers that frame the cute little bird so perfectly. Beautiful textures.

Thank you for joining us at Crafty Bloggers Network this month.
Claire x
(DT)

Cassie said...

Wow, Audrey, this is absolutely gorgeous! You coloring and fine details blow me away :)

Lori said...

Audrey this card is absolutely breathtaking, I love everything about it!!!

nwilliams6 said...

Wow Audzi - you win the Punch Tally Award this week! Your punch/die count has got to be close to 100. This is stunning and amazing. Love the bird, the flowers, the sentiment, and every detail you added from the lining up of the wood grains, the musical ef, the glossy accents, and your beautiful coloring. Seriously a thing of beauty! Hugz - tons of them.

Sandee Shanabrough said...

Oh Audrey, I love this little chickadee and what you have created here is amazing! Look at all those little blossoms! Amazing!

Winnie and Patty said...

Oh my Audrey--what a gorgeous card!!! Your coloring of the little chickadee is fabulous!!! And all those lovely flowers do remind me of spring. Have a wonderful day--hugs--Patty

Sanja Grdinić said...

Beautiful! I admire Your work!